Spinning in Circles Helps You Find Your Centre

I believe there's a metaphysical reason for everything. When I downsized to an apartment seven years ago, I knew my dance would be effected. But I'm a belly dancer, trained to sashay between tables and shimmy up a storm without taking a step. Moving into my mid-forties seemed like a good time to focus on jumping around less, and focussing on the introverted power of stationary movements—and spinning.

Belly dancer, Leanne Margaret, wears a black costume with gold beading. She spins with a black veil embroidered with red roses. Situated on the lawn at Coonara Community House, Upper Ferntree Gully.

After seven years of spinning, it's now a strength of mine. I even attended a two-day workshop with a Whirling Dervish, activating the spiritual power of spinning. I knew that spinning could raise energy, or diminish it; depending on the direction (which is different for different dancers). Another advantage of spinning, is that you have to find your centre to keep your balance.

At this stage of my life, I realise that I can't avoid life's challenges. I can only learn to adapt to them, without losing my balance. Spinning is a moving meditation that initiates this wisdom. There's a lot going on in the spin.

First, we have to set our space. That means we can safely enter a spin without whacking our arms on the furniture, or other people. Then, we find our centre. Finding our centre allows us to stay anchored in space, without drifting to the side. The next challenge is to keep all of that in focus as we begin to whirl, in whichever direction is natural to us. Experiment with each direction, and feel into your energy field to ascertain whether you feel energised or depleted. Each polarity is important at different times. 

At first your muscles may become tense, as you balance yourself on your legs, ankles and feet. Gradually, you can learn how to let your muscles relax and receive the movement, while maintaining a strong balanced core. As you find your momentum, your arms will instinctively rise—opening your heart chakra. This turns the spinning into a practice of mindfulness. Start with a few practice sessions to warm-up. When you are properly balanced and grounded, you can spin for 10-20 mins. 

The mystical message is this: You can move through the cycling nature of joy and suffering in this world if you focus on staying grounded on your feet, aware of your centre, and conscious of what is coming in and out of your orbit. Everything circles. The very atoms that you are can be seen as little spinning bodies, dancing in a choreography of a trillion-trillion tiny dancers. Not all of them perfect, but all perfectly cohesive.

Happy dancing in 2022, hopefully with me. X

Check out the timetable here.

And my books here.

Leanne Margaret © 2021


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Majickal Bellydance Zoom Classes Are Back – And They've Evolved.

7 Reasons to Start Majickal Bellydance Classes

Majickal Belly Dance Classes are back in Studio - November 2020